Running Club (Grades 2nd-5th)
Jenison Christian students, grades second through fifth, are invited to join the school running club. Students are encouraged to run because God blessed us with bodies that move, to see God’s Word alive in action, set and attain a goal, promote a healthy lifestyle, build community, and because it is FUN! The goal of the running club is to run in the Jenison Memorial Day 5K race sponsered by Kenowa AMBUCS, an organization that promotes mobilitiy and independence for people with disabilities. One students sponsered JCS currently receives services through AMBUCS.
Students in grades 2nd-8th grade who have an interest in the game of chess are invited to be a part of Chess Club. The club meets every Thursday after school from 3:30 to 4:30 and runs from January 12, 2017 to March 16, 2017. Every session opens with devotions and then a lesson on chess strategies taught by area High School students who are passionate about chess. Students then have a chance to practice the skills learned. Coaches are available during play to critique games. All members of the club are encouraged to enter a regional chess competition in early spring.
Robotics Club is an after school club opportunity for students in 5th through 8th grades who want to have fun while learning how to program robots to race, program robots to sense color/light, and many other fun tasks. The club meets on Thursday evenings from 6:30-8:15. They hold a fall and spring session. See the school office for a sign up form.
Jenison Christian Ski Club is open to any 6th, 7th or 8th grade student. The club skis at Bittersweet Ski Resort in Otsego, MI. A bus transport students after school and returns to school at 10 pm. On average, ski club will ski 4-6 times during the seaon depending on transportation and snow accumulation. Being a part of ski club gives students a reduced rate on ski rentals and lift tickets and even a free ski lesson. It is a great opportunity for students to get a taste for a popular winter sport.
Music (Grades 6th-8th)
- Jazz Band: Jazz Band offers students the opportunity to explore a rich and uniquely American genre. Students play a wide range of styles from the blues to Latin jazz. In addition, the groups practice the fundamentals of improvisation, integrating this elemental aspect of jazz performance in our concerts.
- Honors Choir: This auditioned group offers the opportunity for choral students to perform more advanced music in a small-group setting. In addition to receiving high marks for their festival performances at the district and state levels, the Honors Choir has been selected to perform at the prestigious Michigan Music Conference on three occasions (2002, 2007, 2013).
Intramurals (Grades 5th-8th)
- Students participate in intramural activities.
- Activities focus on the team sports that are taught in middle school physical education.
- Students demonstrate leadership, cooperation, respect, and responsibility participating in a team sport.
8th Grade Play
- A theater experience is available to each eighth grade student.
- After a tryout the students spend approximately twelve weeks memorizing lines and practicing stage directions to present two performances.
- Exploring and developing new drama skills to learn cooperation and team work bring Glory to God are the primary goals of this drama experience.